What I learned from the virtual space exercises


This class is one of the most challenging I have had here at Richland.  But I always enjoy a challenge and I am enjoying this class. It makes me realize how hard it is to learn completely new things – things not related to other things you already are comfortable with – but entirely new things.  It takes using those commands about 10 times before I can remember them.

While working on the Rico Cluster I learned about additional fonts available on the internet.  How helpful; and they are so much fun. I also learned that my life is not so much a “cluster” but, more a set of diverse tangents.

As we got into virtual space I immediately realized that you can no longer “believe everything you see”.  It is now possible to create a picture of almost anything.  What fun it is to combine various pictures, and design and brand new reality.

I learned to save often and not necessarily on top of the last save.  Sometimes you may want to go back and pick up in the middle of your process.  Sometimes I number the saves and then, when I am done, I can purge the unwanted copies.

The most important concepts I am learning are the impact of space (both positive and negative), perspective (including the flatness concept), and light (including dark vs. light, shadows and implied distance, sharp vs. hazy).  The information conveyed by a picture is contained in subtle features.

            For instance the hazy light can imply distance as seen here in:
             
                        Albert Bierstadt’s Looking Down Yosemite Valley
                       

            And the lack of light can add a sense of mystery as seen in:

                        Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio’s The Conversion of St. Paul

                       

            And value of the light can add intensity as in:

            Artemisia Gentileschi’s Judith and the Maidservant with the Head of Holofernes

                       


And finally, I learned that the command “Edit, Transform, Scale” works better than any diet to make me appear thinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 March